Home » Business » Page 1210

Business

WazupnaijaNaija Entertainment  blogs & ForumsBusiness

Manchester United linked with Nick Pope with club concerned Dean Henderson is ‘too inexperienced’

Manchester United are being linked with Burnley stopper Nick Pope this summer, with the club concerned that Dean Henderson is not ready to be the club’s number one. Following Henderson’s return from two seasons on-loan at Sheffield United in the summer, there has been constant debate over who should be the Red Devils starting goalkeeper, particularly with David De Gea having been inconsistent in the last 18 months or so. The majority of this campaign has seen the Spaniard remain as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first-choice, with the younger Englishman largely having been deployed in domestic cup competitions. With De Gea granted leave to return to Spain for the birth of his first child last week, the 24-year-old has been handed the chance to impress with a run of games, although after a strong p...

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer set to land new deal at Manchester United

Manchester United gaffer Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is reportedly set to be handed with a bumper new contract to extend his Old Trafford stay. Solskjaer will enter the final 12 months of his three-year contract later this month. After a difficult 18 months, United have made massive strides under Solskjaer this season. The Red Devils are second in the Premier League table. However, they are a whopping 17 points behind rivals City with two games in hand. According to a report in the Daily Mirror, the 48-year-old will see his current £7m per year salary boosted to £9m. The report adds that talks to finalise the bumper new contract are ‘imminent’. United have already bolstered their senior management team, adding two new pieces in March. John Murtough was confirmed as the club’s new football directo...

Former Nigerian ambassador urges government to negotiate with bandits

A former Nigerian ambassador to the Philippines and Algeria, Orefo Onochie, has told the federal government to consider the option of negotiating with the insurgents, currently terrorising Nigeria, if that would make the bandits to embrace lasting peace. Onochie who spoke newsmen in Abuja on Sunday said that negotiating with the bandits would prove a wiser option in the long run. According to him, there is nothing wrong in negotiating with bandits if that can end banditry, insurgency and kidnappings in parts of the country. The diplomat argued that Nigeria should not continue to be held hostage by terrorists, especially in the north. He also expressed worry over what he described as the persistent cases of kidnappings and killing of farmers by herdsmen in farming communities in parts of th...

Véron Mosengo-Omba appointed CAF general secretary

FIFA has confirmed that Véron Mosengo-Omba will leave his role as Chief Officer of the FIFA member associations (MAs) division with immediate effect to take on the position of CAF General Secretary. Mr Mosengo-Omba initially joined FIFA in 2016 as Director MAs with responsibility for Africa and the Caribbean, and subsequently spent the past two years supporting all FIFA 211 MAs to implement the FIFA Forward development programme, as well as managing relationships with all FIFA MAs and continental confederations in his role as Chief Officer of the division. A native of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mr Mosengo-Omba was particularly involved in supporting the 54 African MAs in their FIFA Forward projects, in the development of youth and women’s football throughout the continent, and i...

Chad president kicks off campaign for sixth term

President Idriss Deby of Chad kicked off his campaign for a sixth term on Saturday, calling for unity after rival protests were banned. The first rally since the start of the official election period on Thursday was held by Deby’s Patriotic Salvation Movement (MPS) at a packed stadium in the capital, N’Djamena. Deby, who has ruled for 30 years and is widely deemed a shoo-in for another term, said he had fought for national unity, while also drawing a line in the sand for his opponents. “People must know that democracy is not synonymous with disorder,” the incumbent warned. “Those who believe that should go elsewhere.” On Thursday, three opposition candidates quit the race ahead of the April 11 ballot with one of them — Mahamat Yosko Brahim — saying the climate was “not favourable for fair ...

Repairs: Federal government announces partial closure of Falomo bridge

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola, has announced a six weeks partial closure of the Falomo Bridge in Victoria Island from Sunday for repairs. Popoola in a statement on Friday night appealed for understanding of road users promising that traffic regulatory and law enforcement agencies have been deployed to minimise gridlock “The Federal Government will be embarking on rehabilitation of Falomo Bridge for a period of six weeks starting from Sunday 14th March 2021. “This will require partial closure of one lane at a time. “The motoring public are advised to please cooperate with the traffic law enforcement agents, while the federal government will try its best to minimise the inconveniences this may cause,” he said. Get more stories like this on Twitter You Deserve to...

Lagos hospital presents medical records of Lekki tollgate victims

Reddington Hospital Lagos, Saturday produced the medical records of some of the patients it treated following the Lekki toll gate ‘shootings’ of last October 20. One of the hospital’s trauma and orthopaedic surgeons, Dr. Babajide Lawson, presented the case files to the Lagos State Judicial Panel on Restitution for Victims of SARS and the Lekki Tollgate Incident. The Nigerian Army has been accused of opening fire with live bullets on peaceful protesters at the Toll Gate demanding an end to police brutality using the hash tag #EndSARS. Some of the protesters have submitted petitions to the panel alleging that men of the Army’s 81 Division shot at and killed several #EndSARS protesters that night, a claim the Army denied. The Army has, however, shunned further appearance at the panel, without...

Recording Academy Chief Comments on Beyonce Declining to Perform at the Grammys

Ben Winston, executive producer of the Grammys, was also asked by the publication about Beyoncé’s absence: Viewers “might” find it strange that she’s not there, he said when prompted. Beyoncé is nominated for a total of nine awards at this year’s show. “Black Parade” earned her nods in the record of the year, song of the year, best r&b performance and best r&b song categories. “Savage” with Megan Thee Stallion is up for record of the year, best rap performance and best rap song. Beyoncé’s “Brown Skin Girl” earned a nod for best music video, and Black Is King is a contender for best music film. A number of artists have criticized the Grammys in recent years, including The Weeknd, who vowed to boycott the show mo...

Why Wilfried Zaha is no longer taking the knee

Wilfried Zaha became the first Premier League player not to kneel before kick-off on Saturday since top-flight footballers started using the gesture to protest racial injustice last summer. The Crystal Palace winger instead chose to “stand tall” ahead of the match with West Brom, something he had said in February he was going to do but hadn’t started a game since then due to injury. Zaha released a statement ahead of kick-off outlining his intention to do so and his reasons for it. What he said “My decision to stand at kick-off has been public knowledge for a couple of weeks now,” the Ivorian international said. “There is no right or wrong decision, but for me personally I feel kneeling has just become a part of the pre-match routine and at the moment it doesn’t matter whether we kneel or ...

Police uncover mutilated body of woman killed by teenage nephew for ritual in Delta

Police detectives in the Delta State Police Command have arrested members of a money ritual syndicate who abducted, killed and mutilated the body of a 39-year-old woman while on her way back from a farm at Obiarukwu in Ukwani council area. The prime suspect in the murder of Joy Osameze, identified as Emmanuel Ejibe (18), who is said to be the nephew of the deceased, supposedly masterminded the crime and led other gang members to lay an ambush for her while returning from Abraka Farm Reserve. Osameze was reportedly ambushed and taken to an isolated part of the bush, murdered in cold blood and her body parts severed purportedly for money rituals, with her other remains buried. The operatives attached to the Special Anti-Kidnapping and Cyber Crime Squad (SAKCCS) set up by Commissioner of Poli...