Home » Business » Page 1242

Business

WazupnaijaNaija Entertainment  blogs & ForumsBusiness

Armed herdsmen: Group calls on President Buhari to caution Bauchi governor

An Edo State-based civil society organisation, the Foundation for Good Governance and Social Change (FGGSC), has called on the Presidency to caution the governor of Bauchi State, Bala Muhammed, over a statement credited to him justifying bearing of arms by Fulani herdsmen to protect their cows. The group, faulting the comments of the governor, described it as ‘reckless, provocative, divisive and unbecoming of the status of a governor in a pluralistic society like Nigeria.’ Addressing journalists in Benin City, the Executive Director of FGGSC, Austin Osakue, said the situation in Nigeria was similar to what led to the 30 months civil war in the late 1960s that resulted in wanton destruction of lives and properties. ‘The statement opens the floodgates of self-help for Nigerians of other ethn...

Insecurity: Nigerian governemtn to hold nationwide town hall meetings

In view of the security challenges confronting the nation, the Federal Government is set to convene town hall meetings in the six geo-political zones. Government is expected to confer with state chief executives, religious leaders, women and youth groups in a bid to find lasting solutions to the spiralling, multiple security threats in the country. A statement issued by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) said the move was in furtherance of Federal Government’s commitment to address multiple security threats facing Nigeria. It said the National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd) convened a meeting of the General Security Appraisal Committee (GSAC) on 11th February, 2021. The meeting, which was attended by the service chiefs and heads of law enforcem...

NDLEA warns against rogue recruitment portal floated by scammers

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has said it was yet to resume the job recruitment it suspended In compliance with stipulations by the Presidential Task Force on the COVID-19 pandemic and that a website purporting the organisation had commenced hiring should be regarded as a scam. NDLEA Head of Public Affairs, Deputy Commander of Narcotics, Jonah Achema, made this disclosure in a statement today. The agency warned the public that scammers were behind the site. Achema said that the recruitment portal circulating on the internet was fake and the public needed to take caution. The agency noted that job scammers, who had created fake NDLEA recruitment portal, had been extorting money from unsuspecting public. NDLEA said: “The agency wishes to inform the general public that ther...

DSTV: No auditioning yet for #BBNaija Season 6

The organisation behind the annual Big Brother Naija reality TV show says auditioning for this year’s episode was still in the cooler. Laycon won the last edition. MultiChoice Nigeria (DSTV) disclosed this in a statement on its verified Twitter handle today, cautioning Nigerians to ignore ongoing calls for auditions for BBNaija season 6. It wrote: “Our attention has been drawn to a call for auditions for Big Brother Naija, BBNaija season 6. “Please note that this report is false and members of the public are called to ignore this misleading information.” It stated that at the right time the detailed information would be made available to the public through credible platforms and official social media handles. “We have not announced the next edition of BBNaija. As always, we will keep our c...

Iran’s president warns of coronavirus ‘fourth wave’

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani warned Saturday of a Covid-19 “fourth wave” as cases rise in certain areas of the Middle Eastern country hardest hit by the pandemic. “This is a warning for all of us,” Rouhani said in televised remarks. He said some cities in the southwestern province of Khuzestan were now “red” — the highest on Iran’s colour-coded risk level — after weeks of low alert levels across the country. “This means the beginning of moving towards the fourth wave. We all have to be vigilant to prevent this,” Rouhani added. The country of more than 80 million people has lost close to 59,000 lives out of more than 1.5 million cases of Covid infection. Iran has officially registered less than 7,000 daily infections since late December, but the number has crossed this level since early ...

Police warn against unlawful gathering in Osun

The Police in Osun has warned against unlawful gathering or blocking of free-flow of traffic in the state. In a statement by the police spokesperson in the state, Yemisi Opalola, the police said it had information that some unscrupulous elements were planning to start an #EndSARS solidarity protest in the state. “The intelligence availed the command revealed that some unscrupulous elements are planning to embark on unlawful gathering, in solidarity with #EndSARS protesters elsewhere. “The commissioner of police has advised that this unlawful plan should be jettisoned. “He has warned that the command will not condone any act that will jeopardise the peace and tranquillity presently enjoyed in the state. “Note also that gathering of any sort now is unlawful and a violation of COVID-19 laws. ...

Senate asked to probe public hearing on medical council bill

The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), the umbrella body of health workers in the country, has demanded that Senate probe the recent public hearing of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) Bill as it accused Chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, Dr. Ibrahim Oloriegbe, of disenfranchising its members. JOHESU Chairman, Comrade Joy Bio Josiah flayed what he called “vindictive and discriminatory” attitude of Dr. Oloriegbe against other medical professional bodies as he gave his constituency, MDC and NMA more time to canvass their views on the contentious bill. “We challenge Oloriegbe and the NMA to produce video and audio evidence contrary to this. The point here is Oloriegbe does not understand the philosophy and basics of running Public Hearings because he pointedly domina...

Oyo governor imposes curfew on Sasa over killings

Following the over 48 hours of killing and destruction of property at Sasa market, in Akinyele Local Government Area of Oyo State, Governor Seyi Makinde has imposed a curfew on the area. Sunday Vanguard also learnt that the governor has shut the market indefinitely. A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr Taiwo Adisa, on Saturday, indicated that the governor gave the order to forestall breakdown of law and order in the area. The curfew is to run from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. The statement warned residents of the affected area to go about their legitimate businesses peacefully, stating that anyone caught perpetrating violence will face the wrath of the law. The statement read: “His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde has directed the immediate closure of Shasha market in...

Biden aims to isolate China on coal — but it could blow back on the U.S.

John Podesta, who led the Obama administration climate strategy and is close to Biden’s team, said the White House would need some “diplomatic choreography” if its plan is to work. The U.S. move “leaves China isolated. The pressure will build on China to stop its coal finance and to green the Belt and Road Initiative,” he said. But the plan will require the Biden team to closely coordinate its foreign policy, trade and clean energy initiatives, because the absence of U.S. money for coal projects won’t on its own sway other nations’ energy plans. And the U.S. cannot unilaterally offer sweet enough financial terms for clean energy to lure countries away from China’s coal finance. Chinese President Xi Jinping, right, shakes hands with then-Vice Presid...

U.S. says North Korea an urgent priority for the United States

North Korea’s nuclear weapon and ballistic missile programs are an urgent priority for the United States and Washington remains committed to denuclearization of the country, the U.S. State Department said on Friday. The Biden administration’s lack of direct engagement with North Korea should not be seen as an indication that the challenge posed by its weapons programs was not a priority, department spokesman Ned Price said. “It in fact very much is,” he told a regular briefing. North Korea continued to make progress in its nuclear and missile programs in recent years “which makes this an urgent priority for the United States and one that we are committed to addressing together with our allies and partners,” Price said. “And … the central premise is that we remain committed to denuclearizat...

Myanmar police fire rubber bullets, wounding three, as hundreds of thousands protest

Supporters of ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi clashed with police on Friday as hundreds of thousands joined nationwide pro-democracy demonstrations in defiance of the military junta’s call to halt mass gatherings. The United Nations human rights office said more than 350 people, including officials, activists and monks, have been arrested in Myanmar since the Feb. 1 coup, including some who face criminal charges on “dubious grounds”. The U.N. rights investigator for Myanmar told a special session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva that there were “growing reports, photographic evidence” that security forces have used live ammunition against protesters, in violation of international law. Special Rapporteur Thomas Andrews urged the U.N. Security Council to consider imposing sanctio...

Ex-Eagles boss faults Desire Oparanozie’s exclusion from Falcons squad

Former Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh has berated the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for excluding Super Falcons captain, Desire Oparanozie, from the list of players that will be representing Nigeria at the Turkish Women’s Cup. Recall that on Thursday, the NFF released a 23-man list and shut the door on the team’s dependable striker Oparanozie on the ground that she has not been playing since a sit-in protest over unpaid bonuses and allowances at the 2019 World Cup. In his words, NFF’s spokesman, Demola Olajire said: “Oparanozie is still part of the team’s plans, and her non-inclusion has nothing to do with that protest in France because she was not the only one involved,” Olajire told BBC. “Selection of players is predominantly the prerogative of the coaches and not the NFF. “She re...