One Festus Simon, who was described by the Ogun State Police Command as a suspected ritual killer, has been arrested. Police said the 20-year-old Simon had earlier been accused of killing a 12-year-old boy in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. Abimbola Oyeyemi, the Ogun State Police spokesperson, told newsmen Thursday that the suspect was nabbed yesterday. Oyeyemi said his arrest followed information received by the police at Sotubo divisional headquarters, Sagamu that “the suspect who killed his victim on the 1st of October 2020 fled his resident at Iyana church area of Iwo road Ibadan to Simawa area of Ogun state.” He was said to have relocated to Ogun under the pretence of looking for a job. “Information further revealed that the suspect had been on the wanted list of Oyo police command whe...
Getty Images Fabinho and Liverpool will begin talks soon over a contract extension. The Brazilian has become an integral part of Jurgen Klopp’s side, which has won the Champions League and Premier League since he arrived. And reputable journalist Fabrizio Romano says that while Fabinho rejected an offer from a ‘top club in Spain’ last summer, he wants to extend his stay at Anfield. Romano told his Here We Go podcast: “Talks are going to start for Fabinho to extend his contract with Liverpool. It is the same situation [as] Van Dijk, they have the same contract, so two years [remaining] with Liverpool. “Fabinho wants to extend his contract with Liverpool. He [gave] an interview explaining he is so happy with Liverpool, but he’s also so happy for the future of Liverpool; [he has been] talking...
Sweden’s prime minister announced Thursday he has gone into protective self-isolation after a person close to him encountered someone who tested positive for the coronavirus. The country is experiencing an autumn surge of infections. From his Facebook account, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said that on his doctor’s advice, he and his wife, Ulla, were self-isolating, even though they have no symptoms. He said it was “the only responsible thing to do in this situation.” Lofven’s announcement came as Sweden’s Public Health Agency reported a record 4,034 new daily infections and five new deaths, putting Sweden’s total deaths at 6,002. In his post, Lofven said the new infections were clearly going in the wrong direction. Early in the pandemic, as other Nordic nations locked down to fight the vir...
Capitol Music Group chairman/CEO Steve Barnett has announced his retirement, effective Dec. 31, 2020, the company announced today (Nov. 5). Barnett, a 50-year veteran of the music business, had spent the past eight years at the helm of the Universal Music Group-owned company, which he joined in 2012 after a stint as chairman of Columbia. As part of the announcement, Barnett announced that current Capitol Records president Jeff Vaughn and current Capitol Music Group COO Michele Jubelirer will take over atop the company. Vaughn will serve as chairman/CEO of CMG, while Jubelirer will become president/COO of CMG. “This has been an incredible journey, and I’ve been tremendously fortunate to work with such amazing people along the way,” Barnett said in a statement. “I am indebted to ...
The House of Representatives Committee on Aviation led by Rep. Nnolim Nnaji on Thursday refused to hold a budget session with the Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, and heads of the sector’s agencies. The infuriated lawmakers, said the won’t treat their budget, because they failed to present their 2021 proposals ahead of the scheduled date for defence. Ministries and heads of agencies, are customarily required to lay their proposals, days before the scheduled dates for defences. The chairman Nnaji in his opening remarks at the scheduled budget meeting with the Minister and the chief executives of the agencies, frowned at the failure of the Ministry to forward the documents as earlier request by the Committee. “Honourable Minister, I don’t know how you expect us to continue this meetin...
Finally, the company says that mechanical royalties totaled C$12 million ($9 million) last year. As part of its results, the company acknowledged that its move to diversify beyond performance rights collections begun in 2016 has not worked out to its satisfactions. So it says it’s taking steps to rectify that situation. As part of that move, SOCAN said it registered a C$41.7 million ($31 million) impairment charge to its Dataclef subsidiary. But that charge have not impacted distribution, the organization said. Dataclef includes its acquisitions of Audiam, which tracks songwriter royalties at YouTube and other digital services for songwriters; Musicnet; and the Canadian mechanical licensing organization SODRAC. “At the time of our investment in these operations, we were exploring new...
Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf has condemned a lawsuit filed by President Donald Trump’s campaign to stop the counting of ballots in the State. Trump’s campaign had filed a lawsuit to stop vote counting in Pennsylvania. Also Trump’s campaign demanded recount of votes in Wisconsin. Democrat governor Wolf, reacting during a press conference, described the action as against the basic principles of democracy and disgraceful. He vowed that the people of Pennsylvania will fight to ensure all votes are counted and there is a free and fair election. Wolf said: “This afternoon, the Trump campaign filed a lawsuit to stop the counting of ballots in Pennsylvania. “That is simply wrong. It goes against the most basic principles of our democracy. It takes away the right of every American citizen to cast...
Suspected militants beheaded over a dozen men and teenagers participating in a male initiation ceremony in northern Mozambique, local sources said on Wednesday, in the latest violent incident in the country’s insurgency-hit northeast. The dismembered bodies of at least five adults and 15 boys were found on Monday, scattered across a forest clearing in Muidumbe district. Islamist militants operating in the area had attacked several nearby villages over the weekend, looting and burning down homes before retreating into surrounding thicket. “Police learnt of the massacre committed by the insurgents through reports of people who found corpses in the woods,” said an officer in the neighbouring Mueda district who asked not to be named. “It was possible to count 20 bodies spread over an area of a...