The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) on Friday urged the African continent to brace itself for possible second wave COVID-19 infections. According to Africa CDC, the number of confirmed cases in the African continent has reached 1,759,794. The continental disease control and prevention agency said in a statement that the death toll related to the pandemic stood at 42,336 as of Friday afternoon. A total of 1,438,841 people infected with COVID-19 have recovered across the continent so far, the Africa CDC said. The most COVID-19 affected African countries in terms of the number of positive cases include South Africa, Morocco, Egypt, Ethiopia and Nigeria. The Southern Africa region is the most COVID-19 affected region both in terms of the number of confirmed posit...
Liberian President George Weah on Friday inaugurated a new national carrier for the West African country, named Lone Star Air, about 30 years after the country’s previous airline went bust. Speaking at a ceremony at Liberia’s international airport, near the capital Monrovia, Weah said the new airline would “connect our country to our region and to the world”. “It is my dream, my hope and my ambition that we will very soon see Lone Star Air, the wings of Liberia, flying our flag in international skies, shining so brightly,” said the footballer-turned-president. Liberia’s flag bears resemblance to the flag of the United States but features one star instead of 50. The country was founded in the 19th century with US support as a home for freed American slaves, whose descendants have a long his...
Sequel to the recent unrest in Lagos State which resulted in wanton destruction to some government properties, items, and valuables, the state government on Friday directed all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to send the list of all affected properties, items and other valuables in their domain. It would be recalled that the peaceful #EndSARS protests in the state had turned violence following the shooting by military men, resulting in hoodlums vandalizing government and private properties across the state. The State Head of Service (HoS), Mr Muri Okunola, gave this directive in a circular with Ref. No: CIR/HoS/20/Vol.1/114, dated 30th October 2020, titled: ‘Processing of Indemnity for State Property Damaged in the course of the recent civil unrest,’ saying the directive was to...
Over in London, Dean Luck — who was previously the Finance Director at Extreme Music — now serves as International Controller. Reporting to Vice President of Finance Dan Bettes, Luck is in charge of international financial matters at Downtown. His responsibilities include financial reporting, treasury management, and multi-jurisdictional compliance. “Even in the midst of a global pandemic, we’ve continued to hire at a steady clip in 2020 to support our growth. I’m regularly impressed with the amazing talent we are able to bring into the Downtown organization from both within the music industry and beyond,” said Downtown CEO Kalifowitz in response to the company’s new appointments. At Endless Noise, founder/Grammy-winning composer Jeff Elmassian has named Dave Chapman as the sou...
Rapper Ladipo Eso, popularly called Ladipoe, says he has tested positive for the dreaded coronavirus disease. Laipoe made this known on his Instagram story on Thursday, saying that he just received the results of his COVID-19 test. He also disclosed that his symptoms are mild and that he is okay. He wrote: “I recently received the result of my COVID-19 test and it was positive. “I have been in Isolation for about ten days now because due to the state of the country, this Monday was the earliest I could get tested. “My symptoms have been mild and I’m getting better. “Please continue to take necessary safety precautions and protect yourself and young ones when you’re out there. “Not everyone has mild symptoms; this is definitely something to be taken seriously.” Get more stories like this on...
The Federal Government on Thursday announced a two-day total closure of the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State for a concrete work on some sections. The Federal Controller of Works in the state, Olukayode Popoola, revealed this to newsmen in Lagos. Popoola said the closure would begin from midnight of October 30 and end at midnight of November 1. “We are planning to cast two number expansion joints, and we shall close the Third Mainland Bridge from midnight of October 30 until midnight of November 1,” he said. The Controller said that there was the need to shut both bounds of the bridge – from Adeniji Adele to Adekunle – in addition to the closed bound of the bridge, to complete the work. According to him, the closure is to ensure that there is no vibration on the bridge during casting i...
The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) says that it has rescheduled the 2020 edition of the Lagos International Trade Fair. Dr Muda Yusuf, Director-General of LCCI, said that the fair which was scheduled to hold from Nov.5 to Nov. 15, 2020 has been rescheduled for between Dec. 4 to Dec. 13, 2020 at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos; both physically and virtually simultaneously. Yusuf in a statement on Thursday also said that the postponement was occasioned by the economic disruptions brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent #EndSARS protests across the nation. “The resolve to hold the 2020 edition of the fair is in line with the need for quick restoration of normalcy to the economic and commercial activities in Lagos State and our support for the ongoing ‘Protect Lago...
The Adamawa government has relaxed the 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state. Gov. Ahmadu Fintiri, who stated this in Yola on Thursday, said that the curfew would be from 8 am. to 6 pm., beginning from Oct. 30. Newsmen recall that the 24- hour curfew was imposed on Oct. 25, following the destruction and looting of government and private warehouses in the state by some hoodlums, hiding under EndSARS protest. “We shall review the timing as situation warrants. Meanwhile, checkpoints will be mounted at all the entry and exit points in the state. “This is a measure taken to stop any attempt by the thieves to escape from the state with the looted items,” he said. The governor appealed to the people of the state to bear with the government, saying the measures were in their collective inter...